What does the Ourschool program do?
We help public high schools build thriving alumni networks to benefit current students and the school community. We do this by connecting alumni with your school so they can give back and inspire students.
What does your school get when you join Ourschool?
- An Ourschool Alumni Coordinator helps your school to establish and grow the alumni program
- Ourschool program materials and templates to implement the alumni program
- A secure school alumni database to keep your alumni details up to date
- Career pathways sessions that bring alumni back into the classroom to share their story with students
- Alumni-provided work experience placements for Year 10 students
- Help to establish alumni-funded student scholarships and bequests
- Reports on the progress and achievements of the alumni program
- Broader opportunities for your students via the Ourschool network and our business/community connections
Why does Ourschool only work with public schools?
Because Ourschool has a philosophical commitment to public school education. A strong public school system is vital for our nation’s prosperity and social cohesion. It’s the only school system in our country that doesn’t charge tuition fees and is available to all students, from all backgrounds.
Ourschool is creating opportunities for public high school students and strengthening their schools and the public school system through supportive alumni networks.
Is the Ourschool alumni service free?
Unfortunately, we can’t offer the service for free.
We charge an annual subscription fee to your school to help us provide our service to you. But the fee can only partially cover Ourschool’s salaries and other operating costs. To cover our remaining operating costs we’re honoured to be funded by philanthropic trusts and foundations and government.
Why does your school need an alumni program?
A successful alumni program can:
- Instil school spirit and pride
- Provide inspiration and opportunities for current students
- Build and engage a community of alumni who want to give back
- Create opportunities for alumni to network with other alumni
- Support school fund-raising projects and provide financial support, such as alumni scholarships
Does the program involve individual student mentoring?
No, our program does not involve mentoring of individual students. Instead we work with groups of students, such as classes and year levels.
Can any public high school sign up?
At this stage in Ourschool’s growth, we only work with schools in Victoria. However, in the future we hope to expand Ourschool’s program to other states in Australia, with the help of new funding partners. To find out more about how to join our program, please get in touch.
I don’t work at a school, but I’d like to support the Ourschool program. How can I help?
We’re proud to work with partners who share our vision to improve equality of opportunity in public school education through supportive alumni networks. If you would like to help support Ourschool, please get in touch.