We commissioned an independent evaluation of Ourschool to measure our impact since we started the program in 2017. As part of that evaluation, students, alumni and teachers who took part in our career pathways sessions were surveyed. Here’s a snapshot of the survey findings.
Student survey findings
More than 1,900 students completed a survey about their experiences of an Ourschool alumni career pathways session.
- 82% of students said they found the session useful and would recommend it to other students
- 78% of students said the session helped them to better understand what life after school might be like
- 71% of students said the session improved their understanding of how to get a job in the future
- 69% of students said the session helped motivated them to stay at school to complete Year 12
- 68% of students said the session motivated them to put more effort into their schoolwork
Teacher survey findings
107 teachers completed a survey about their experience of an Ourschool alumni career pathways session.
- 96% of teachers said they would recommend the Ourschool program to other schools
- 95% of teachers said their students were engaged with the content of the alumni session
- 94% of teachers said the sessions gave their students practical, useful advice and insights about study and the workplace
Alumni survey findings
113 alumni completed a survey about their experiences of an Ourschool alumni career pathways session.
- 99% of alumni said they would recommend sessions like these to other alumni
- 96% of alumni said they would return for another session or another event at school
- 83% of alumni said being connected to an alumni program would encourage alumni to occasionally provide financial support for a school project
Source: Independent evaluation report, Ourschool program, 2019
Here are some key outcomes that we’ve achieved since 2017 from our work with city and regional schools receiving our Foundation service:
- 13,450+ students in our alumni career pathways sessions
- 270+ alumni career pathways sessions held by us
- 625+ alumni volunteers took part in these sessions
- 6260+ alumni connected to their schools and the program
- 104 student work experience placements offered by alumni
- Three student scholarships established, three fundraising school projects involving alumni
- Creating local jobs at public schools – 8+ alumni program coordinator jobs created